Week 16: Golspie and St. Duthus claim Football Times Cup final spots

Posted on Saturday, December 14th, 2019

Inverness Athletic 0 St. Duthus 5

A commanding performance from St. Duthus away to Inverness Athletic saw the Tain side win the Football Times Cup South Section with maximum points on the board.

The deadlock was broken on 20 minutes when Liam Rostock opened the scoring with a shot in off the crossbar -- and Rostock struck again just before the interval, finding space just inside the area to power a shot past Sandy Stephen.

Four minutes after the break birthday boy Rostock netted his hat-trick via penalty kick after Ben Bruce had been fouled in the box. Ben Bruce continued his run of scoring in every game he has played this season with two late goals, in the 88th and 91st minute.

Halkirk United 0 Golspie Sutherland 4

Two goals either side of the interval were enough for Golspie Sutherland to run over Halkirk at Morrison Park to mathematically secure their place in this year's Football Times Cup Final, with only Thurso able to match them on points in the games that remain. The Vikings' worse head to head record though, means they are out of the running.

Conor Cormack and Martin Banks were the marksmen during the first period, before Liam Bremner added a further two in the second.

Bonar Bridge 0 Bunillidh Thistle 6

In Dornoch, Bunillidh Thistle scored their biggest win since returning to the North Caledonian League by putting six past Bonar Bridge to avoid finishing bottom of the Football Times Cup North Section.

Trialist Ali MacKinnon was the star of the show, netting a hat-trick, while Paul Gair also scored two, including one from the penalty spot. Young forward Robbie Murray, who recently joined Thistle from Bonar, also found the net in the second half.

Lewis & Harris 1 Invergordon 5

At Ullapool, Invergordon secured second place in the South Section with an assured 5-1 win over guest side Lewis & Harris. Shaun Kerr and Joe Sutherland both scored to put the Easter Ross side in the driving seat during the first half, before midfielder Kyle Maclean made it 3-0 ten minutes into the second.

Hamish MacDonald grabbed a goal back for the Island side on 62 minutes, but the reduction of the deficit was only temporary as Jordan Knight netted for Invergordon just three minutes later.

Six minutes from time, Darran Goller rounded off the win by getting in on the scoring action.

Orkney 2 Thurso 2

Championship hopefuls Orkney and Thurso finished honours even at the KGS in the only Macleod & MacCallum North Caledonian League match of the day.

It was the away side Thurso who took the initative in the first half with two goals in favour by the time of the break. Striker Connor Macintosh broke the deadlock after 20 minutes before Andy Mackay extended the Vikings' lead with five minutes of the half remaining.

The home team made a second half comeback and it was in-form goalscorer Liam Delday who got his side back into it with a five minute double, scoring on 60 and 65 minutes.