Week 3 Roundup

Posted on Monday, September 18th, 2017

ORKNEY sent a strong signal of league championship intent with a 7-1 home win over Golspie Sutherland on Saturday. An Evan Murray own goal gave the Orcadians the lead before Lukasz Geruzel scored from the penalty spot to draw Golspie back into the game, which ended 1-1 at half time. The second half belonged to the home side though, and after Aiden Drever netted from the spot to give Orkney the lead, the floodgates opened as Steve Cunningham and Thorfinn Stout scored netted within sixty seconds of each other to take the Orkney tally to four. Stout doubled his contribution with a quarter hour left and in injury time Liam Delday scored his third of the season before Stout secured his hat-trick to round off a successful afternoon for his side.

Photograph courtesy of Mark Harcus, The Orcadian.

Bunillidh Thistle's first league game in eight years ended in defeat at the hands of Alness Untied, who recorded their second win in as many weeks. Gordon Finlayson opened the scoring for United after just eight minutes but the Helmsdale side were undeterred and were back in it three minutes later thanks to a Jordan Macleod goal. It took until midway through the second half for the game to be decided, and when the all important goal came it was for Alness - Martin MacDonald the scorer.

In the first round of the Football Times Cup, St Duthus fought an evenly contested game against new entrants Nairn County at the Links. An opening goal just after the half hour mark arrived courtesy of Lewis Ross, who sent the ball home from a Liam Rostock corner to give the Saints a 1-0 advantage at half time. Despite County's best attempts to level during a frenetic second half, St Duthus eventually emerged as 2-0 winners thanks to a 25 yard Rory Patience strike in injury time.

Photograph courtesy of GJW Sport: https://www.flickr.com/gp/gjw75/3G255v

Inverness Athletic recorded their first win of the season to advance to the quarter final of the Football Times Cup with a victory over winless Halkirk United. It was 1-1 at half time in Muir of Ord, Derek Manson having cancelled out an earlier Phil MacDonald goal. In the second half, the Anglers had taken the lead via a Darren Malcolm penalty with fifteen minutes remaining, but a late fightback from Athletic ultimately sent the result the other way with goals coming from MacDonald (for his brace), Chris Innes and Connor Ross to record a 4-2 win.

Photograph courtesy of Sandy Stephen

In the other first round Football Times Cup tie at the Highland Football Academy in Dingwall, Lewis & Harris made easy work of their Elgin City U20 counterparts, winning 4-0 thanks to braces from Innes Iain Morrison and Angus Grant. Youtube video here 

The Quarter Final line up is as follows:

  • Alness United v St Duthus
  • Golspie Sutherland v Lewis & Harris
  • Invergordon v Thurso
  • Inverness Athletic v Orkney

Ties will be played on Saturday September 30th.