• ::
  • North Caledonian Football Association
Week 6 North Caley league round up

Yet another bumper weekend of goals and excitement with 27 goals in the five matches played on Saturday.

First of all, in the early kick-off, we turn to reigning champions Golspie Sutherland who travelled north and across the sea to play Orkney in Holm. Orkney suffered a blow prior to kick-off as their goalkeeper was injured in the warm-up. Golspie Sutherland quickly took control of this match scoring early with a penalty after 3 minutes from Liam Bremner who was to have a fruitful afternoon. He then extended the visitors lead in the 20th minute, followed by a 3rd goal from Eddie MacGregor nine minutes later. Golspie kept their foot on the pedal as they scored again five minutes later from Shaun Urquhart and Liam Bremner completed his hattrick just a minute before halftime.

Half-time score - Orkney 0 v Golspie Sutherland 5

Golspie continued the scoring after 4 minutes into the second half through Sam Mackay and a minute later Liam Bremner scored his fourth and Golspie's seventh goal. Eight minutes later Orkney got what was to be a consolation goal through Steven Hellewell after 58 minutes. Liam Bremner then scored his fifth of the match and Golspie's eight to complete the scoring after 63 minutes.

Full-time score - Orkney 1 v Golspie Sutherland 8

Next, we go to the new home ground of Loch Ness which is King George V Park in Fortrose where Loch Ness took on St.Duthus who were desperately looking for three points. Loch Ness were on the front foot early and they took the lead after 7 minutes from Andrew Miller and this lead was short lived as Saints levelled from Jake Lockett after 13 minutes. It was not long until Loch Ness took the lead again, this time from a fine finish from inside the box from Josh Race in 21 minutes. This seesaw game was level again just before half time as Barry Kenny powerfully headed into the roof of the net after 41 minutes.

Half-time score – Loch Ness 2 v St.Duthus 2

The second half started with both sides having chances to win the match and the winner of the three points were decided in the 61st minute when Loch Ness were awarded a spot-kick and David Watson made no mistake to take Loch Ness back to the top of the league again with Halkirk United losing 4-2 at home to Alness United.

Final score – Loch Ness 3 v St.Duthus 2

Next, we travel over Rosemarkie Bay to Ardersier where Inverness Athletic play hosts to Thurso FC who have picked up their form recently. The Vikings started well and took the lead through James McLean who scored, rising above the Athletic defence with a header after seven minutes. Athletic has their fair share of the ball and chances but in the 30th minute, Thurso took a firm grip of the game and took a two-goal lead through Saleem Bremner in the 30th minute. This was to complete the scoring in the first half.

Half-time score – Inverness Athletic 0 v Thurso 2

The second half started brightly with Inverness Athletic creating openings and got back into the game after 53 minutes from Cal White scoring his first goal for the club. Ten minutes later The Vikings restored their two-goal lead through young winger Cameron Montgomery who scored his second in two matches scoring in the 63rd minute slotting the ball past the Athletic keeper Ryan MacLeod. Thurso completed the scoring with Cameron Montgomery scoring his second of the game and Thurso’s 4th with 7 minutes to go. This was the end of the goals and this win lifted Thurso to fourth in the league table.

Full-time score – Inverness Athletic 1 v Thurso 4

Alness United travelled up north to Morrison Park, Halkirk to take on league leaders Halkirk United and the hosts were to take the lead through top scorer Jonah Martens after 17 minutes, but the lead was not to last long as Michael Mackenzie levelled the match three minutes later. Halkirk United then took a 2-1 lead after 23 minutes through Kyle Henderson. Both teams made a strong start to the game with Alness United creating plenty of chances and they were to take a lead into the half time break as they scored a second through Michael Mackenzie in 42 minutes, getting his second of the match and then Dean Allison on the stroke of half time.

Half-time score – Halkirk United 2 v Alness United 3

The match went back and forward with both teams creating chances until the 61st minute when Alexander Mackay scored a fourth for Alness United to take a 2-goal lead. There were no further goals and Alness United took the three points south and climbed to ninth in the table.

Full-time score – Halkirk United 2 v Alness United 4

Finally for this roundup, Invergordon, having made a 100% start in the league with two wins out of two travelled up to Migdale Park to take on Bonar Bridge who have suffered a couple of defeats the last few weeks looking to get back on track and the visitors had a perfect start with a goal from Ken Morrison after 5 minutes. No further scoring but plenty of chances created but just before half-time the hosts levelled through Jack Mitchell in the 43rd minute.

Half-time score – Bonar Bridge 1 v Invergordon 1

No further scoring at Migdale and both sides had to settle for a point apiece. Invergordon finish the day in 3rd in the table and Bonar in 6th.

Next weekend's fixtures below


Golspie Sutherland v Bonar Bridge
Invergordon v St.Duthus
Nairn County 'A' v Orkney (Helmsdale 13.00)


Alness United v Halkirk United
Lewis & Harris v Thurso (Ullapool 12.00)
Loch Ness v Inverness Ath

All 2 p.m kick-offs unless stated