• ::
  • North Caledonian Football Association
Week 7 League and cup roundup

The six games in the league and cup came up with a whopping 31 goals !!!

Football Times Cup Round 2 (sponsored by Inverness Trophy Centre)

First of all we go to Ullapool in the early midday kick-off as The Vikings travelled down to take on The Lewis & Harris select and we didn't have to wait long for action as Lewis & Harris took an early lead through James 'Titch' MacLeod and four minutes later 2-0 up from Luke Mackay which had Thurso stunned. Eventually, Vikings cleared their heads and got a goal back from top scorer Marc MacGregor in the 14th minute and he was to level things up after 29 minutes with his sixth goal of the season and his fifth in two cup ties. Just when it looked like they would go into the break on level terms Cameron Montgomery scored just before the half-time whistle. It was some comeback from Thurso after being 2-0 down so early in this cup tie. The second half promised to be just as exciting.

Half-time score - Lewis & Harris 2 v Thurso 3

Early into the second half, Thurso took a firm grip of the cup tie when they were awarded a free-kick and it was Innes MacIntosh who scored in the 46th minute to give Vikings a two-goal cushion. Twelve minutes later Lewis & Harris were back in the cup tie as Rob Jones scored to set up an exciting half-hour or so in their exciting cup tie at Ullapool High school's 4G surface. It stayed at 4-3 to Vikings with chances at both ends until substitute Connor MacIntosh scored in injury time to seal Thurso's place in the semi-final where they play Loch Ness away on Saturday the 23rd of October with a 2 p.m kick-off.

Full-time score - Lewis & Harris 3 v Thurso 5

Next up was the Inverness Derby as Loch Ness played hosts to Inverness Athletic at King George V Park in Fortrose. The sides were well matched with chances at both ends but no scoring in a closely contested first half.

Half-time score - Loch Ness 0 v Inverness Athletic 0

The second half started the same as the first half as both sides creating opportunities and it seemed as though one goal would win the cup tie and a place in the semi-final of The Football Times cup. Finally, the deadlock was broken in the 68th minute when Martin Mainland scored and that secured Loch Ness a place in the semi-finals at home to Thurso who won 5-3 in Ullapool against The Lewis and Harris select.

Full-time score - Loch Ness 1 v Inverness Athletic 0

In the final cup tie of the day, there were goals aplenty as Alness United played Halkirk United for a second week in a row having won 4-2 at Morrison Park the previous week so The Anglers were looking for revenge. They quickly took the lead after 2 minutes at Dalmore Park through top scorer Jonah Martens and in the 37th minute from midfielder Grant MacNab.

Half-time score - Alness United 0 v Halkirk United 2

The Anglers took a vice-like grip of the cup tie five minutes into the second half from a great strike from Grant MacNab into the top right-hand corner of the net to take a three-goal lead. Eight minutes later Alness United got a goal back from Ryan McFee and another two in the 63rd minute from Alexander Mackay and two minutes later Ryan McFee scored again to level the cup tie at 3-3. four minutes later it was that man Jonah Martens again in the 69th minute to give Halkirk United a 4-3 lead. That wasn't the end of the scoring as Iain Ross levelled the cup tie again for Alness United in the 72nd minute. No further scoring so the cup tie went straight to penalty kicks and the hero for The Anglers was Kieran MacLeod saving two Alness penalties leaving it to Andy Mackay to score the vital spot-kick and win the shoot out for Halkirk United 4-2 and a semi-final at Nairn County 'A'.

Full-time score - Alness United 4 v Halkirk United 4 (Halkirk win 4-2 on penalties)


Nairn County 'A' v Halkirk United
Loch Ness v Thurso

all 2 p.m kick-offs on Saturday 23rd of October 2021

North Caledonian League

First of all we go to Couper Park, Helmsdale in the 12.30 kick-off with Nairn County 'A' taking on Orkney in their second meeting, having played at Helmsdale in the league a few weeks ago with Nairn coming out winners by four goals to three in a topsy turvy match.

There was no scoring in this match until just before half-time when Grant Hogg scored for Nairn County 'A' to go into the half-time break with a vital lead.

Half-time score - Nairn County 'A' 1 v Orkney 0

The match was finely balanced with Nairn holding the 1-0 lead until Orkney levelled the match thanks to Liam Delday in the 66th minute. The points were there for the taking for both sides until Nairn scored the winner with three minutes left to stun Orkney who looked like they were going back north and across the sea with a share of the spoils. Nairn County 'A' secured their third league win of the season and climbed to their in the table.

Full-time score - Nairn County 'A' 2 v Orkney 1

At Recreation Park, Invergordon there was another Derby where St.Duthus travelled to take on Invergordon which is always an exciting end-to-end match and it was the visitors who took the lead in the 8th minute through their top scorer Ben Bruce who scored from a tight angle under the keeper after hitting the post with his first effort. There were chances at both ends but the first half ended with Saints holding a slender lead.

Half-time score - Invergordon 0 v St.Duthus 1

Invergordon started the second half strongly looking to get back into the game and in the 66th minute, they levelled the match through Cammy Mackintosh. There was to be no more scoring as both teams picked up a point. Invergordon ending the day with their second 1-1 draw in succession in 4th place in the table with Saints in 7th.

Full-time score - Invergordon 1 v St.Duthus 1

In the final league match of the day a Sutherland Derby as Golspie Sutherland host Bonar Bridge at King George V Park, Golspie. Golspie took a firm grip of this match after 20 minutes when Sam Mackay opened the scoring followed by Liam Bremner who was to have another good day scoring another four goals on top of the five he scored in Orkney last week, his first in this match coming after 27 minutes. This was followed up with Gary Pullen scoring ten minutes later to give Golspie a three-goal advantage at half-time giving Bonar a mountain to climb in the second half.

Half-time score - Golspie Sutherland 3 v Bonar Bridge 0

Into the second half, there was to be no respite for Bonar as Golspie scored two more, from Alfie Mackay in 43 minutes, then Liam Bremner's second of the match in the 50th minute. Eight minutes later Shaun Urquhart scored, followed by Conor Cormack in the 65th minute. Liam Bremner then completed the scoring with two spot-kicks in the 68th and 72nd minute to end the scoring on a miserable afternoon for Bonar Bridge.

Full-time score - Golspie Sutherland 9 v Bonar Bridge 0


Bonar Bridge v Halkirk Utd
Golspie Sutherland v Nairn County 'A'
Inverness Athletic v Invergordon
St.Duthus v Alness United (1 p.m)
Thurso v Orkney (2.15 p.m)

All 2 p.m kick-offs unless stated