Week 4 Roundup

Posted on Monday, September 25th, 2017

A CONQUERING comeback from the Vikings up in Orkney saw Thurso overturn a 2-0 deficit to go three points clear at the top of the Macleod & MacCallum North Caledonian League table on Saturday. With the benefit of a strong wind, Orkney were able to take a commanding 2-0 lead after just 35 minutes with goals from Erik Bews and Joe Wilson, but with the weather on their side during the second half, Thurso were able to reduce the deficit immediately with a goal from Innes Mackintosh. A dramatic finale saw James Murray head in off the crossbar with a minute left to play to hand the Caithness men an equaliser and in injury time Thurso snatched the victory when Stevie Morris dinked the ball over Orkney's Fraser Laird following a defensive error.

Photograph courtesy of Mark Harcus, The Orcadian.
Full gallery: http://www.theorcadianphotos.co.uk/

Golspie Sutherland recorded their first win of the league campaign thanks to three goals in the first half of their game against St Duthus. Ally Macleod gave his side the lead after a frenetic start with a goal on 19 minutes, before Lukasz Geruzel made it 2-0 six minutes later. It was back and forth at St Duthus attempted to make a comeback, but a second for Macleod just before the break put the game beyond the Tain side. A goal was disallowed for either side but no further goals were to come as the match ended 3-0.

Flickr gallery: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm9sZZeR

At Morrison Park, Halkirk United picked up their first three points of the season with a 3-2 win over Bunillidh Thistle. The Helmsdale men took a 1-0 lead on 32 minutes with a neat finish from Jordan MacLeod, but just three minutes later Andrew Falconer levelled with an overhead kick after Cameron Yuill unfortunately lost control of the ball. Steven Lowe headed home a corner to make it 2-1 midway through the second and Falconer was on target again nine minutes later to give Halkirk a two goal advantage. A late goal for Bunillidh from Liam Mcleod, scored directly from a corner, reduced the deficit.

Video courtesy of Darren Manson, Picture House.

Inverness Athletic were on the wrong end of a 5-2 defeat at Invergordon, as the defending champions got off the mark in style. Despite Inverness taking a 24th minute lead courtesy of a Gary Calvert penalty, Invergordon took a 2-1 lead in to the dressing room at half time, thanks to goals from new signing Ryan Macleod and last season's player of the year Kai Cruickshank. Ryan Macleod added two further goals during a busy second half either side of a Michael Mckenzie strike. Midway through the second half, Russell Macintyre added a consolation for Athletic.