• ::
  • North Caledonian Football Association
Week 8 League roundup

The league again provided lots of goals. This time 22 goals in five games.

Starting off this report with the Ross-shire Derby at Grant Park in Tain where Alness United travelled the short distance to take on St.Duthus looking for a much-needed win to climb the table. However, it was Alness United who came out of the traps fast and took a lead in the first minute through Dean Allison who curled the ball from the left corner of the box into the far right top corner to shock Saints. The home supporters were not to wait long for an equaliser in the 4th minute as Jake Lockett curled a brilliant free-kick into the top right-hand corner of the Alness net to level the score at 1-1. Alness were to go in front again two minutes later as Alexander Mackay outpaced the Saints defence on the left to slot the ball past Saints keeper into the far right corner. Saints were to fight back again as they started to dominate the match and in the 34th minute, Daniel Christie made it 2-2 with a neat finish past the Alness keeper after a good move down the right fed into him. Then five minutes later former Caley Thistle player Ross Tokely picked up the ball about twenty yards out and curled the ball high into the net with the Alness keeper helpless. That ended the scoring for the first half with Saints with their tails up.

Half-time score - St.Duthus 3 v Alness United 2

Saints started the second half as they ended the first on top of this tough match and sealed the three points in the 76th minute with a second free-kick off the game for Jake Lockett who played it in from the left and the ball went straight in past the Alness keeper into the far right-hand corner to cement the three points for the home side. There was no further scoring and Saints moved up to sixth in the table and Alness second bottom at the end of the day.

Full-time score - St.Duthus 4 v Alness United 2

Next up is Bonar Bridge hosting Halkirk United at Migdale and it didn't take in form Anglers long to take the lead in the 16th minute from Hasheem Bremner and after 35 minutes Jonah Martens scored from the spot to take a firm grip on this match.

Half-time score - Bonar Bridge 0 v Halkirk United 2

Halkirk United started the second half strongly and Bonar Bridge trying to get a goal back into the game, however, two minutes into the second half Sam Barclay scored to secure the three points and top of the table again for The Anglers. No further scoring in the second half.

Full-time score - Bonar Bridge 0 v Halkirk United 3

The next match kicking off at 2 p.m was Invergordon travelling to Ardersier to take on Inverness Athletic with the hosts desperate for three points, It was Invergordon who took the lead in the 24th minute when Niall Docherty picked up the ball twenty-five years out and hit a fierce strike into the top left-hand corner with the Athletic keeper having no chance. There was no further goals in the first half.

Half-time score - Inverness Athletic 0 v Invergordon 1

Early in the second half, Athletic got right back into it as former Nairn County man Kieran Duffty picked up the ball off a rebound from the Invergordon keeper and slotted past the keeper to make it 1-1. The match was only level for three minutes when Kyle MacLean scored to seal the three points for Invergordon which sees them end the day 3rd in the table.

Full-time score - Inverness Athletic 1 v Invergordon 2

In the final 2 p.m kick-off of the day, Nairn County 'A' travelled north to Golspie to take on Golspie Sutherland at King George V Park. They were to be up against top scorer for Golspie Liam Bremner and he was to be the main man again in this match, scoring a penalty after 3 minutes and again in 22 minutes. He scored his hattrick one minute later and scored his 4th of the match after 30 minutes leaving Nairn a mountain to climb with still an hour of the match to play.

Half-time score - Golspie Sutherland 4 v Nairn County 'A' 0

Nairn got a goal back a minute into the second half through an own goal. Golspie were to regain their four goal lead when Miller Mackay scored in the 79th minute. No further goals giving Golspie the three points and 4th in the table.

Full-time score - Golspie Sutherland 5 v Nairn County 'A' 1

Finally in the 2.15 p.m kick off at the Dammies, both side going into this match looking for three points and to climb the table, Thurso fresh from their trip to Ullapool last week in the cup started brightly with young winger Cameron Montgomery running at the Orkney defence and so close to scoring after a mazy run beating several Orkney defenders for then to strike from the left and the Orkney keeper to pull off a great save. Both sides had chances to take the lead until Aiden Drever scored after 31 minutes and Orkney take a lead into the break.

Half-time score - Thurso 0 v Orkney 1

The second half started the same with both sides having chances until Orkney forward Liam Delday took over after 52 minutes scoring to make it 2-0 and 3-0 after 56 minutes to kill the game stone dead and secure the three points for Orkney. Orkney were not finished yet and scored the 4th goal after a goalmouth scramble by Robbie Scott in the 84th minute.

Full-time score - Thurso 0 v Orkney 4


Alness Utd v Inverness Ath
Halkirk Utd v Golspie Suth
Invergordon v Nairn County 'A'
Loch Ness v Thurso
Orkney v Bonar Bridge (12.45 p.m)

All 2 p.m kick-offs unless stated #NCFA #NorthCaley