Week 5 Roundup

Posted on Monday, October 2nd, 2017

THE SEMI FINALS of the 2017-18 Football Times Cup took shape this past weekend as the final eight faced off in a series of entertaining encounters across the North.

It took a penalty shoot-out to decide the tie at Dalmore Park as home side Alness United and visiting St Duthus could not be separated at full time. Alness started the better of the two sides and took the lead after 26 minutes when Daniel Lowe sent a spectacular looping thirty yard shot into the net. In the proverbial game of two halves, St Duthus reemerged a different side and with 65 minutes on the clock Liam Rostock added the final touch to a low cross from Jamie Skinner to make it 1-1. An injury time header just over the crossbar from Saints' Scott Miller proved to be the last action of the half as the game went to penalty kicks. Things were all square until the third penalty when Steven Martin directed Alness substitute Martin MacDonald's shot upward and off the crossbar. Although John Skinner missed his next kick for St Duthus, Martin came up trumps again, holding Ryan Stewart's low spot kick. With that, Scott Miller netted the winning kick for the Tain men to confirm their place in the semi final.

Match gallery provided by GJW Sporthttps://www.flickr.com/gp/gjw75/Dm49E9

Cup guests Lewis & Harris travelled back across the Minch victorious following a stunning 3-2 win over Golspie Sutherland at King George V Park. The men from the Isles took the lead after half an hour but a goal from Cammy Sutherland just before half time ensured the honours were even at the break. Golspie Sutherland's Graham Macnab gave his side the edge shortly after the restart, but Innes Iain found himself on the scoresheet once again just four minutes later to restore parity. It looked as though the game may go to penalties in the dying stages -- but instead it took just one spot kick to decide the winner. With two minutes left on the clock, referee John Nicolson awarded Lewis & Harris a penalty following a foul on Jack Dunlop, and Angus Grant did the honours to send his team into the semi final. 

Video provided by Westside Videos 

 Invergordon disposed of league leaders Thurso in convincing fashion at the Recreation Grounds with a 3-1 win. New signing Michael Mckenzie opened the scoring after just eight minutes with a well taken header at the back post. A goal line scramble nearly led to Invergordon's second, but the honour was reserved instead for Neil Macdonald just before half time, scoring with a beautiful 20 yard strike which sailed into the top corner of the net. With nine minutes left, a low cross after good running from Daniel Christie presented Ryan Macleod with an easy finish in front of goal to make it 3-0. Just moments later, Thurso reduced the deficit through James McLean.

Video provided by Darren Manson, Picture House.

At Muir of Ord, Orkney made sure of their place in the Football Times Cup semi final with a dominant 8-1 win over Inverness Athletic. After just twenty minutes the visiting Orcadians were 3-0 up, thanks to a Thorfinn Stout brace and one from Jamie Flett. Erik Bews put the ball in the wrong net seven minutes later to gift Inverness a goal back, but a hat-trick strike from Stout and a goal from Joe Wilson made it 5-1 at half time. Athletic's woes continued in the second period as Bews rectified his early faux pas with a goal on the hour mark, before Craig Gillon and Mark Berry added two more.