Week 6 Roundup

Posted on Monday, October 9th, 2017

ORKNEY's title in-ten-tions were made abundantly clear at the KGS on Saturday as they cantered to a record 10-0 win against Alness United. The home side proved too strong for their visitors as first half strikes from Chris Hellewell, Aiden Driver and Pickles ensured the match was over as a contest within half an hour, before a second for ex-Wick Academy midfielder Pickles and a brilliant Erik Bews strike ensured Orkney were 5-0 up at the break. The second half continued in the same vein as Alness ultimately finished the match with ten men. Hellewell scored his second to make it 6-0, before Pickles completed his hat-trick. Jamie Flett, Craig Gillon and Sam Hunter completed the scoring.

Photo courtesy of Mark Harcus, The Orcadian

At Muir of Ord, Inverness Athletic picked up their first three points of the league campaign with a 2-1 win over St Duthus. During a back and forth first half, Athletic convened at half time with a 1-0 advantage thanks to a near post finish from Glenn Donoghue. A second goal came from Connor Ross a few minutes after the hour as the tall striker struck well into the bottom corner. Miller Mackay reduced the deficit for St Duthus on 74 minutes after good work from Ewan Ross to send a low cross into the box, but ultimately the home side held on to secure the points.

Photo gallery provided by GJW Sport: https://www.flickr.com/gp/gjw75/03272D

League champions Invergordon continued their winning form with a 2-1 win at King George V Park over rivals Golspie Sutherland. On song Ryan Macleod netted his fifth goal of the season to give the visitors the advantage after 21 minutes. Just two minutes into the second half though, Golspie equalised through Grant Macnab. It took a 56th minute goal from Neil Macdonald to seperate the sides as Invergordon ultimately held out to win the match by the odd goal in three.

The match between Thurso and Bunillidh Thistle was postponed due to a water logged pitch at Sir George's Park.

Last Wednesday, Golspie Sutherland were sent out of the North of Scotland Cup at the semi final stage, at the hands of Highland Football League side Lossiemouth -- despite a brave second half fight back. Goals from Ross Archibald and Ross Duncan gave Lossiemouth a 2-0 lead after 55 minutes before James McLaren made it 3-0 with 25 minutes remaining. An entertaining final period saw Golspie pull back two goals via Lukasz Geruzel, but ultimately they succumbed to defeat.