Week 10 Roundup

Posted on Monday, November 6th, 2017

THURSO moved four points clear at the top of the Macleod & MacCallum North Caledonian League on Saturday thanks to a 1-0 home win over reigning champions Invergordon. Both sides drew a blank during an entertaining first half with chances for both sides before the deadlock was broken early into the second period after a sustained period of pressure from the home side. Typically used to scoring them at the other end so far this season, the goal came from Invergordon's Neil MacDonald, who headed a free kick past his own keeper after 56 minutes to ultimately hand the Vikings the win.

Video provided by Darren Manson, Picture House Cinema.

Match gallery provided by James Gunn, Thurso.

Bunillidh Thistle picked up their first win of the season at home to St Duthus. Billy Cairns gave his side the lead just after the half hour mark on the counter attack with a good finish. The Helmsdale side found themselves 3-0 up six minutes into the second half with a goal from Michael Smith and a second from Cairns. Inspired substitutions led to Saints pulling two goals back, first through Lewis Ross who headed the ball home from a corner, then Ewan Ross who scored another following good delivery from a set piece - but there was to be no equaliser, and all three points stayed at Couper Park.

Match gallery provided by Jenn Mackay Photography.

At Golspie, Elgin City's U20 side had their second crack at cup competition of the season, coming up against Golspie Sutherland - and despite the scores being level at half time, the Moraysire youngsters ultimately lost heavily. A fifth minute strike from on loan Cammy Sutherland gave Golspie a quick lead before Lewis Taylor levelled things ten minutes later. It was honours even at half time, but the second half undoubtedly belonged to the home team, as they knocked seven more past their visitors. Greg Shearer scored just three minutes after the restart, and nine minutes later Graham MacNab netted the first of three he would score during the half. Luke MacBeath and George Jones scored the other goals, and the last was reserved for the unfortunate John Geddes who put the ball past his own goalkeeper with two minutes remaining.

Photo provided by Elgin City FC.

A nine goal thriller was witnessed at Alness in the second of Saturday's North Caledonian Cup ties, as the local United overcame Inverness Athletic 5-4. Returning striker Mark Lamont opened the scoring for United after nine minutes, and it wasn't long before Martin Mainland scored an own goal to extend the homesters' lead. Within a minute Gary Calvert had pulled a goal back for Inverness, but within the same time Alness had restored their two goal advantage with a strike from Gordon Finlayson to make it 3-1. Connor Ross reduced the deficit with 17 minutes of the half remaining and parity was ultimately achieved when David Fraser knocked the ball home on 43 minutes, leaving the half time score at 3-3. The second half was just as frenetic, as it was Lamont who broke the deadlock once again, scoring his second seven minutes into the second half. Connor Ross notched his brace on 72 minutes to keep the game level, before the winning goal was reserved for the comeback man Lamont who secured his hat-trick from the penalty spot two minutes from time.