Week 12 Round up

Posted on Monday, November 19th, 2018

North Caledonian Cup - Sponsored by Inverness Trophy Centre

Inverness Athletic 3-4 Invergordon
Pavilion Park, Muir of Ord

Invergordon got the better of Inverness Athletic in a seven-goal thriller at a foggy Pavilion Park On Saturday. It would be the host who started the game the better of the two sides as after only 6 minutes they were 1-0 when Phil Macdonald finished off a brilliant Athletic move. Darren Goller got Invergordon back into the game when he sprung the offside trap and latched onto a neat pass to slot pass the advancing Inverness keeper to put the side’s level at the break. Invergordon started the second half with a bang as they got their noses in front for the first time. Athletic failed to properly clear a corner and the ball dropped to Shaun Kerr who, with his back to goal, found the corner of the net with an overhead kick. The home side rallied after their disappointing start to the second half and ten minutes later they were back in the contest. Dean Allison netted with a stunning strike from the edge of the box that flew into the far corner of the net to give the visiting keeper no chance. Shane Carling’s men were on the ascendency after Allison strike and were back in front just 9 minutes later. Another brilliant team move from the home side was again finished off spectacular by Phil Macdonald as his shot nestled in the top corner of the net. Invergordon continued to press their hosts as they searched for that goal that would get them back in this enthralling cup tie. Their talisman Darren Goller would once again be the man to drag his side level. An excellent ball over the top eluded the home defence and found that man Goller all alone with only the keeper to beat, which he duly did to level things ups again. Invergordon’s tails were up after Goller’s goal and they continued to put pressure on Athletic in search of the winner, which came on the 81st minute. Substitute Jordan Knight finished from 6 yards after some poor home defending to put his side into the next round.

Inverness Athletic's Phil Macdonald scored twice but eneded up on the losing side as Invergordon knocked Athletic out
Picture Credit - Graeme Webster


Alness United 4-2 St Duthus
Highland Football Academy, Dingwall

Alness United continued their impressive season as they knocked out North Caledonian Cup holders St Duthus at the Highland Football Academy in Dingwall. Both sides started the game well but it would be United who would opening the scoring just after the 20 minute mark when Jack Hudson glanced in a Calum Gow cross. St Duthus were level 12 minutes later when Cammy Mackintosh hit a cracking 25-yard strike that rattled in off the cross bar to put the sides in level at the break. St Duthus would edge in front after half time after Alness failed to deal with a long throw that eventually came of United’s Gordon Finlayson and into his own net. It would be another OG that would get Alness back into the game 10 minutes later as Saints defender Charlie Macdonald turned the ball into his own net to set up an exciting last 15 minutes. Gordon Finlayson would atone for his earlier OG with 10 minutes left of the clock when his well struck shot found the back of the net to put United in the driving seat. Alness United eventually booked their place in the semi-final when debutant Connor Ross rounded off the scoring on the 85th minute to set up a home meeting with Golspie Sutherland in the semi-finals.


Thurso 2-1 Halkirk United
Sir Georges Park, Thurso

There was late drama in the Caithness derby on Saturday as Thurso got the better of their near neighbours Halkirk United at The Dammies. It would not be until early into the second half that the deadlock was eventually broken as Thurso took the lead in the 47th minute. An Andy Mackay corner was nodded down by James Murray to Conor Trueman who blasted the ball into the net from six yards giving Milligan in the Halkirk net no chance. The rest of the second half was a fairly even affair as Halkirk looked for a way back into the cup tie. They would finally get their chance from the penalty spot with 4 minutes remaining. Halkirk’s Steven Sutherland was upended at the edge of the penalty area by Thurso defender Alan Sinclair and the ref pointed to the spot. Sutherland dusted himself down and stepped up to tuck the penalty into the bottom left hand corner of the net to get The Anglers back into the match. Halkirk hearts were broken on the 90th minute of the match when a through ball from Innes Mackintosh found Conor Trueman who slotted the ball into the bottom left corner of the net past Halkirk keeper Milligan to send Thurso through to face Invergordon in the Semis. The match video filmed by Darren Manson is now on the Picture House Cinema YouTube channel. see below.


Golspie Sutherland 2-1 Bunillidh Thistle
King George v Park, Golspie

In the last quarter final there was once again late drama as Golspie Sutherland got the better of local rivals Bunillidh Thistle at King George V Park, Golspie. All the drama would come in the final 10 minutes of this exciting Cup tie. Craig Ross netted for the hosts with only 10 minutes left on the clock only for Bunillidh’s leading scorer Billy Cairns to pull The Jags level 2 minutes later. Then on the 85th minute Golspie were awarded a penalty with youngster Joseph Macnamara slotting it away to book his sides place in the last 4 where a meeting with Alness United waited.