Week 23 Round up

Posted on Sunday, February 17th, 2019

Week 23 Round up

The three Jock MacKay Cup quarter-finals ties played on Saturday produced plenty thrills and spills with holders Invergordon, St Duthus and Bunillidh Thistle all progressing to the last four. Golspie Sutherland defeated Halkirk United in the only league match of the day at King George V Park. The teams meet again a week on Wednesday (February 27) in the remaining Jock MacKay Cup quarter-final tie.

Jock MacKay Cup Quarter-Final
Bunillidh Thistle 3, Alness United 3
(Bunillidh won 4-3 on penalties)
Couper Park, Helmsdale

Gordon Finlayson, seen here in action against Invergordon last weekend, netted 3 times but still found himself on the losing side on Saturday.
Picture Credit - Scott Macdonald

Alness United play-maker Gordon Finlayson scored a hat-trick at Couper Park but still ended up on the losing side after Bunillidh Thistle won 4-3 on penalties following a thrilling 3-3 draw. Finlayson gave United the lead in the 15th minute but Billy Cairns levelled five minutes later. Paul Gordon fired Thistle ahead on the hour mark, but a quick-fire double from Finlayson saw United edge 3-2 in front. But it was all square again in the 79th minute when Tony Miller converted from the penalty spot. There were no more goals in regulation time and it was down to a penalty shoot-out in which Thistle prevailed.

Jock MacKay Cup Quarter-Final
Invergordon 1 v 0 Orkney
Recreation Grounds, Invergordon

Cammy Houston scored the only goal of the tie as Invergordon kept a firm grip on the Jock MacKay Cup. Houston struck with his first goal for the club just before the hour mark for what proved to be the winner. Liam Delday and Chris Hellewell both had chances to level either side of the interval but the holders held out for a place in the semis.

Jock MacKay Cup Quarter-Final
St Duthus 3 v 1 Thurso
Grant Park, Tain

Cammy Mackintosh netted a stunning strike for St Duthus to help his side to victory over Thurso on Saturday
Picture Credit - GJW Sport

St Duthus booked their place in the last four with an impressive 3-1 victory against Thurso at Grant Park. Will Ross gave Saints the lead in the 18th minute when he scored from close range following a Jon Campbell free kick. Cammy MacKintosh made it 2-0 just before the half hour mark with a stunning 25-yard drive which flew into the top corner. The Vikings came more into the tie after the break but it was Saints who went further ahead in the 68th minute when Scott Miller flicked home a MacKintosh cross at the near post. Roddy Innes reduced the deficit six minutes from the end when he swept home a Kuba Koziol lay-off, but it was too little too late from the Vikings.

North Caledonian League
Golspie Sutherland 4 v 0 Halkirk United
King George V Park, Golspie

Golspie Sutherland closed the gap on league leaders Invergordon to four point with two games in hand after a no-nonsense victory over Halkirk United. The Anglers went into the match on the back of a four-match unbeaten run but they soon found themselves behind to a Craig Ross goal. Further goals from Graham MacNab and John Budge stretched Golspie's lead before the break. Ross scored again in the 61st minute to round off an emphatic win for the home side.

St Duthus14626+220
Halkirk Utd13319-2410