Week 11: Orkney overcome St. Duthus to win the Jock Mackay Cup

Posted on Sunday, November 10th, 2019

Orkney clinched the first trophy of the season with a well-merited 3-1 victory against St Duthus in the Jock MacKay Cup final at Invergordon. In the league, Thurso maintained their 100 per cent record thanks to a late winner against Inverness Athletic, while Golspie Sutherland went on a goal spree against county rivals Bonar Bridge. Halkirk United won with something to spare against Bunillidh Thistle.

Jock MacKay Memorial Cup Final - St Duthus 1, Orkney 3
at the Recreation Grounds, Invergordon

There was little in the way of goalmouth incidents until Orkney took the lead just before the break. A mix-up in the Saints' defence in the 44th minute led to an own goal. Man-of-the-match Liam Delday doubled Orkney's lead in the 47th minute after he was sent clear by D J Moffat. Saints' threatened with a downward header from Mikey Rae which was smothered by Orkney keeper Liam Valentine at his near post. But Callan Jessiman made it 3-0 on the hour mark with a low drive from inside the area. Liam Rostock looked Saints' best outlet for a goal and after a couple of near things he netted in the 73rd minute with a sweetly struck effort. Saints' sub Robbie Murray was unlucky with a shot which crashed off the base of the post seven minutes later but there were no more scares as Orkney secure the silverware.

North Caledonian League - Golspie Sutherland 13, Bonar Bridge 0
at King George V Park, Golspie

It was goals galore at Golspie where the home side were in rampant form.
Golspie got off to a flyer with a Liam Bremner opener after just two minutes, followed by a Grant MacNab penalty three minutes later. Incredibly, there were no more goals until the 54th minute when Danny Coghill made it 3-0. The goals flew in at regular intervals after that with 10 more in just over half an hour. Bremner ended up scoring four, taking his tally for the season to 10. MacNab settled for a hat-trick, while Sandy Sutherland (2), Ally MacLeod, Lukasz Geruzel, Eoghann Davie also got in on the act.

North Caledonian League - Inverness Athletic 2, Thurso 3
at Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Athletic thought they had rescued a point against Thurso when Phil MacDonald scored from the penalty spot deep in stoppage time.
But within a minute Michael Petrie netted the winner, also from 12 yards, after hand ball was spotted.
Steve Morris gave Thurso the lead in the 3rd minute when he found the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the area.
But Athletic hit back in the 12th minute when MacDonald levelled with a fine individual goal.
The Vikings restored their lead five minutes from the break when David Hale got on the end of a set piece to score.
It stayed that way until the stoppage time penalty drama which resulted in Thurso going home with all three points.

North Caledonian League - Halkirk United 6, Bunillidh Thistle 0
at Morrison Park

Four goals for Halkirk United inside the opening half hour effectively finished this match as a contest.
Alan Davis opened the scoring for the Anglers in the ninth minute. A Bobby Gunn double and a Kyle Henderson goal inside eight minutes put the home side on easy street.
However, Bunillidh managed to stem the tide until two late goals from Henderson completed another impressive win for Ewan McElroy's young side.